Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The problem with biblical grounded christians

In this day and age finding a biblically grounded church, pastor, or a biblically grounded person in general is a very hard thing to do. But a personal fault and a fault I have found amongst biblically grounded people is the use of various theology books or commentaries instead of using the bible as their main book of truth. Don't get me wrong, I love my theology books and commentaries, in fact I have a very sizable theology library in my house, from John Piper, John MacArthur, and Francis Chan, all the way back to Spurgeon, Jonathan Edwards, and C.S. Lewis. With that being said however, I can count numerous times that I wanted to look up a theological topic such as salvation, and instead of using the bible as my main source I immediately went into a systematic theology book, or a commentary instead of using the bible. How many of you sitting there reading this will listen to a sermon, read a theology book or commentary and just sit there and not open the bible and see if what that person said is actually biblically correct. I know I used to do that very thing. Now I try to always look first at the bible and always use that as my main source and if I use a commentary or theology book I remember that it should not be a focal point of my research and that everything needs to come back to the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment